I’m excited to attend NHSLMA13, R/Evolution: Thriving in the Information Age on Thursday May 16th and Friday May 17th. The Mountain View Grand Resort promises to be a spectacular location for this conference.
New Hampshire’s school librarians are some of the most creative, inventive, progressive, and hard-working librarians I know (and yes, I am biased). I look forward to hearing from Susan Ballard and Gail Dickinson (yes, president and president-elect of AASL will be in the house).
I will be speaking on Friday about creating learning spaces in your library. As always, I look forward to the questions at the end of my talk. I’m always so interested to hear what people wanted to know more about. I’m prepared to answer a lot of questions about my recent break-up with Dewey.
My presentation is Friday from 3:30 to 4:30 in the Roosevelt Room and is titled:
Creating User-Centered Spaces in Your Library
The user-centered school library encourages peer-to-peer learning, experimentation, and collaboration with some of the key innovations that are revolutionizing education, information, and the creation of digital media. This library space provides all users with a laboratory to create projects and experiment with new types of learning devices, resources, and tools, especially those that blend the virtual with the physical. The print collection continues to thrive in a “Dewey-Lite” system of display and organization.
Follow along with my presentation on your own device:
Here are additional links that may come in handy:
- My first blog entry about the idea: https://pamlibrarian.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/putting-dewey-on-a-diet/
- Our intern Caitlin Ahearn’s presentation on “The Dewey Diet” http://www.slideshare.net/caahearn/the-dewey-diet
- The 10 Skills That Will Get You Hired in 2013: http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghancasserly/2012/12/10/the-10-skills-that-will-get-you-a-job-in-2013/
- CRAAP Test: http://www.csuchico.edu/lins/tip/evaluating/evaluating6.html
- Fenderson’s Fabulous Reads: http://fendersonreads.blogspot.com/
- Sanborn Regional High School Libguides: http://srhs.sau17.libguides.com/
- Libguides: http://www.springshare.com/libguides/
- Screencasting (easy-to-use): http://www.screenr.com/
- EasyBib: http://easybib.com/
- Gale Virtual Reference Library Catalog: http://www.gale.cengage.com/servlet/GvrlMS?msg=ma
- Constant Contact (school’s email newsletter): http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp
- TRAILS Assessment: http://www.trails-9.org/
- QR Code Generator: http://goo.gl/ (enter URL, click on “details”)
- Online Newsstand: http://theonlinenewsstand.org/
- I love this site about User-Experience in Libraries: The Usable Library: http://usablelibrary.org/